Compact SUVs have lots of benefits. They offer the maneuverability and fuel efficiency of a smaller vehicle, while giving the space and safety of a larger one. There are plenty of compact SUVs to choose from, but in a crowded class the Ford Escape stands out. Here are seven reasons you want a Ford Escape for your next vehicle.
1. Spacious Interior: Most people who choose an SUV — even a compact one — are looking for plenty of space. The Ford Escape meets this need, with more cargo and passenger space than most other SUVs in the class. The Escape has just over 34 cubic feet of passenger space, and 68 cubic feet when the rear seats are folded down. Rear passengers also have more than 37 inches of leg room, giving them plenty of space to stretch out.
2. Fun To Drive: Since SUVs are larger than cars, they can sometimes feel sluggish to drive. Not so for the Ford Escape. The Escape comes with a standard 179-horsepower 1.5-liter engine, which is small but gives it plenty of power. An optional 254-horsepower 2.0-liter engine on the Titanium model will provide even more performance.
3. Inexpensive to Own: The Escape’s starting price is lower than some of the competition, beginning at $24,000 new. But that’s not the only time you’ll save money. Because Fords are plentiful, replacements parts are cheap and easy to find if needed. Add to that the Escape’s decent fuel economy (23-30 MPG) that will save you at the pump every week, and you’ll be squirreling money away over the years that you own an Escape.
4. Reliable: Another reason that the Escape won’t break the bank is that it is more reliable than most other vehicles. J.D. Power gave the 2017 Ford Escape a reliability rating of 4 out of 5, well above the average ranking of 3 out of 5. Knowing that the Escape will be there when you need it will set your mind at ease.
5. Great for Towing. The Escape comes with front-wheel drive or four-wheel drive options, so it’s good for people who occasionally go off-road or who live in snowy climates. The Escape is also a good fit for people who like to bring their toys. With 3,500 pounds of towing capacity (when properly equipped), the Escape can tow a small boat or teardrop trailer.
6. Advanced Tech Options. The Escape has an easy-to-use infotainment system built around Ford’s SYNC system and SYNC Connect that make it easier to hook your device up to the car. However, tech in the Escape isn’t just about easy access to music and navigation. The vehicle also uses technology systems including auto stop-start engines and stability control to make driving safer and more efficient.
7. Recently Refreshed: The Escape will see a full redesign in the 2020 model (which means you could pick up used models for a slight discount). However, in 2017, the Ford Escape underwent major changes on the interior and exterior. These included more efficient engines and increased safety features that help to earn the Escape a great safety rating.