When you think about the countries that make great cars, the United States, Japan, and Germany often spring immediately to mind. But among these giants, Sweden has carved out a small but significant niche, exporting high-quality, safe vehicles under the Volvo badge.
Since its inception in 1927, Volvo has been a brand built around safety. All Volvos come with an all-wheel drive option, making them a favorite for drivers who are regularly navigating icy or snowy winter roads. In addition to being safe, Volvos are also stylish and upscale, with perks like standard leather seats.
These attributes make Volvos appealing to a wide array of drivers. Whether you’re looking for a family-friendly vehicle that will fits the kids and their equipment, or a safe and stylish commuter car, Volvo has a model that will fit your needs.
Here are five favorite Volvos, perfect for an array of drivers.
- For Big Families: The XC90 . If you need to fit all the kids, the XC90, Volvo’s crossover SUV, is the best Volvo for you. The largest vehicle in the Volvo lineup has seating for up to seven and family-friendly features like easy car seat clips and video screens to keep the kids entertained. The XC90 has more than 48 cubic feet of cargo space (more than 16 with the third row seats in use), and can tow up to 5,000 pounds when properly equipped, so it will be useful for all of your family adventures.
- For The Team Captain: The V60 . The V60 is a sleek hatchback that comes with optional all-wheel drive. With seating for five, the V60 is a great fit for drivers who don’t need an SUV, but who like having an option for plenty of storage in the back, since it has more than 23 cubic feet of cargo space. Choose the V60 Cross Country for a more powerful engine, standard all-wheel drive and a higher road clearance.
- For The Exec: The S60 . Volvo’s small sedan has optional all-wheel drive and great engine performance, but still gets up to 36 miles per gallon on the highway. Commuters will also love its luxurious interior, including 10-way power-adjustable front seats that are said to be among the most comfortable available and optional heads-up display that will keep your eyes on the road.
- For The Safety Fanatic: The S90 . The S90 debuted in 2017, so it has all of Volvo’s newest technology. Much of that innovation is dedicated to making the S90 one of the safest mid-sized cars on the road. The S90 comes with an array of standard safety features including a rear-view camera, parking sensors, lane departure warning and road sign recognition. The S90 has so many tech safety features, in fact, that it comes standard with Pilot Assist, Volvo’s semi-autonomous driving system, which uses adaptive cruise control, lane keep assist, and a collision avoidance system to operate the car with limited oversight.
- For People With Toys: The XC60 . Volvo’s compact SUV, has great towing capacity, managing up to 3,500 pounds when properly equipped. For a compact SUV, that’s not shabby, and it’s plenty to pull a small boat, jet ski, or other summer fun items. The XC60 has plenty of other benefits too, like a strong but fuel-efficient engine (up to 31 MPG), and standard features including a panoramic sunroof and rain-sensing wipers.