Who hasn’t fantasized about zipping around curving roads in a cute but powerful convertible? With a Mazda MX-5 Miata you can make that dream come true. The MX-5 Miata is sleek, stylish and fast, perfect for a romantic cruise or thrilling ride with the top down. Whether you’re riding along the coast, through the mountain, or across the desert, the Mazda MX-5 Miata is a great vehicle choice. Here are seven reasons why.
1. It’s a classic convertible: The MX-5 Miata roadster offers everything you want from a zippy sports car, including, of course, the ability to cruise with the top down. For years, the MX-5 Miata was available only as manually-folding ragtop, but the 2017 model year introduced the RF option, which comes with hard-top roof that folds with the push of a button.
2. It has speed, along with great handling: The 2019 MX-5 Miata unveiled a more powerful 181-horsepower four-cylinder engine that is peppy enough to deliver speed and acceleration for the small car (the 2016-2018 model years offered a 155-horsepower four-cylinder). Although the 2019 MX-5 Miata’s 5.7 second 0-to-60 time is longer than some other sports cars, the Miata’s superior handling makes it a thrill to drive.
3. It delivers a hands-on driving experience: To fully appreciate the MX-5 Miata, you’ll want to choose the six-speed manual transmission, which is standard in all trim levels. For greater performance, you can add a sports-tuned suspension and limited-slip differential. For drivers who want a more laid-back drive, an automatic gearbox is an available option in all trims.
4. It allows you to travel light: The MX-5 Miata is small, even by sports car standards. It measures just 154 inches from bumper to bumper, with seating for only two people and less than five cubic feet of cargo space in the trunk. That makes the MX-5 Miata perfect for people who aren’t afraid to leave their baggage behind.
5. It has great audio system: In such a small car, the six-speaker audio system that comes standard on the MX-5 Miata delivers great sound. The nine-speaker Bose(R) audio system that comes standard on the Club and Grand touring trims is even more powerful and will ensure you can hear your favorite music even with the top down.
6. It’s super safe: If you want both performance and practicality from your sports car, the MX-5 Miata offers enough safety features to give you peace of mind. As of 2019, a backup camera comes standard on the MX-5 Miata. On the club trim level you’ll get additional safety features including blind-spot monitoring and rear cross-traffic alerts. The grand touring trim adds traffic sign recognition, automatic braking, and lane departure warning.
7. It’s less expensive than the competition: No one will argue that a two-seat sports car is a practical purchase, but the MX-5 Miata is more reasonably priced than comparable roadsters, starting at around $30,000 new. In addition, the MX-5 Miata has great gas mileage, getting an EPA-estimated 30 MPG combined.